|Pilates vs Yoga – what is the difference?
The purpose of Yoga is to unite the mind, body and spirit. Teachers of Yoga see the mind and body as one whole structure and if the techniques are used in the proper environment, Yoga can be a way to heal the body and help to find mental harmony. This is why Yoga is considered to be a therapeutic activity. It gives your body more flexibility and promotes relaxation even in the most stressful of times. The latter is the reason most people begin taking Yoga classes – to reduce stress.
In Yoga, several movements are preformed on an exercise mat and the weight of the body is used as a resistance for the exercise. This takes a great amount of focus and the flow in and out of each position is fluid. The movements are not what you would call workout moves; they are more like poses that are designed for different needs and purposes.
Pilates has many of the same goals in mind but the major difference between Pilates and Yoga is that in addition to mat work, there can be different exercise machines involved. Pilates works out the entire body in addition to the mind. The focus is on the core of the body so the rest can freely move and this makes makes your body stronger both on the inside and out. The balance is meant to be present between flexibility and strength and this results in stronger and leaner muscles. Many people see the value in both activities and this is why a whole new generation is choosing to incorporate both Yoga and Pilates into their lives.
How To Choose Between Yoga vs Pilates
- There are several different factors that you should be thinking about if you are deciding which is your preferred type of exercise – Pilates v Yoga. You may be thinking of taking up a relatively new type of exercise and are finding it difficult to decide between yoga and Pilates. The one that you choose will become a part of your life and the decision you will make will depend on the results that you would like to attain.
- Exercise has been proven helpful for individuals who are suffering from depression or anxiety. Yoga might be the most effective exercise to combat the illness because it focuses on the mind as well as the body. When comparing the differences between Pilates vs Yoga, the breathing techniques as you will find out, differ a lot! In yoga, the breathing exercises help you to achieve relaxation. Throughout Yoga routine it is important to continuously concentrate on how the breath is being employed. Sending the breath to areas that may be tight or are holding stress can help to relax these specific muscle groups in your body.
- With Pilates, the breath is used more as a technique of providing the muscles with the energy they need to exercise effectively. Concentrating on the breathing technique throughout Pilates will help you to manage the quantity of oxygen coming into the body and traveling to the muscles to help them become more relaxed.
- Yoga and Pilates both contain several poses that are suitable for toning the abdominal muscles. However, Pilates exercises are a lot more intense and results may be achieved much quicker than they might be if practicing yoga. Through frequent Pilates exercises, a flatter and firmer stomach can be achieved.
- For individuals with back pain, both yoga and Pilates poses can give glorious results for stronger and more supportive back muscles. Care has to be taken with some yoga poses as they will actually make the existing problems worse. When attending yoga classes, the yoga teacher will be able to offer advice to students with back problems.
- One of the main differences between Yoga and Pilates is that Yoga can be used for improving the flexibility of the body and it will also gradually increase the flexibility of your joints. Whereas Pilates focuses on trying to relax muscles which are tense and provide strengthening of the numerous muscles of the body.
- Yoga and Pilates are both wonderful for toning and strengthening all of the muscles groups in your body but when it comes to Pilates vs Yoga weight loss advantages, there is not a massive difference in how much weight you will lose. If you are trying to lose weight, you could try Pilates exercises using different Pilates machine which add the cardio and fitness element to your Pilates poses and will help you to burn additional calories.
- In the end, the easiest way do decide whether Pilates vs Yoga is best for you is to have a go a try both! Try one class of each and you will be able to see for yourself which one suits your needs and abilities better. Both Pilates and Yoga are very enjoyable way to strengthen your muscles, get your body in better shape, relieve stress and gain more flexibility.
Please consult with your doctor before you take yoga and Pilates class. Some of the poses may be dangerous for you if you have had surgery or suffer from any illness.